Tips to clean the windows of your tent and caravan
Do you want to clean the windows of your awning, tent or caravan? Then pay attention: these windows are made of plastic and have a special protective layer. If you use the wrong cleaning agents, you can damage the protective layer.
In this blog we explain how you can clean and protect tent windows and caravan windows, which products you can use for this and which products you should absolutely not use.
You can use these tips to clean tent windows, but they are also suitable for all other types of plastic windows. Follow these tips when cleaning windows in the:
- tent (katoen of polyester)
- party tent
- folding trailer
Cleaning tent windows
As a seasoned camper, you maintain your tent well: you clean the tent after each use and impregnate the tent every year. But how do you clean the tent windows? They deserve extra attention.
Why plastic windows are vulnerable
This seems like an open door: plastic windows are not glass. Still, plastic windows are sometimes treated as if they were glass. Campers often use aggressive cleaning products, while the plastic can't handle it at all.
The UV-resistant layer of tent windows in particular is very vulnerable. Without that UV-blocking layer, the plastic or plastic film would decompose over time. If you use aggressive cleaning agents, they affect this important protective layer.
This is how you clean the plastic windows of your tent or caravan
It is best to use lukewarm water to clean plastic windows. Normal dirt can easily be removed with lukewarm water and a soft brush. Dry the windows well after cleaning with a dry and clean cloth.
Can't get rid of stubborn dirt with just lukewarm water and a brush? Then use Plastic Window Cleaner & Protector: this product has been specially developed to clean and protect plastic windows.
With this cleaning agent you can clean your plastic windows and apply a protective layer. Plastic Window Cleaner & Protector restores the clarity and shine of the plastic. You can use this product if stubborn stains have arisen due to, among other things:
- drops of impregnation spray
- black deposit
Cleaning caravan windows
Caravan windows are made of hard plastic. However, you should also be careful when cleaning caravan windows. These windows also have a UV coating that can be easily damaged. Do you suffer from unsightly scratches, greasy fingers or green deposits? This is the best thing to do:
- Never use a product with acetone, it will dissolve the plastic.
- First wax the windows to get them free of grease.
- Remove scratches with a special product.
- Clean with lukewarm water and dry with a clean cloth.
- Use Plastic Window Cleaner & Protector to clean and for extra protection.
How do you use the Plastic Window Cleaner & Protector?
- Spray the Plastic Window Cleaner & Protector on the surface to be treated.
- Distribute the product evenly with a clean microfibre cloth.
- Wipe off the dirt.
- Work from left to right and top to bottom.
- Wipe the surface dry with a clean microfibre cloth.
- Repeat the treatment if necessary.
Which cleaning products should you absolutely not use?
For plastic windows, never use cleaning products that you normally use to clean glass. Think of Glassex, vinegar or dishwashing liquid. These products can affect the watertightness of the tent.
When and how often should you clean the plastic windows?
If you only use lukewarm water, you can clean the windows as often as you want.
In general, campers clean their tent, caravan or motorhome before the camping season starts, while camping and when the camping season ends. That is why we have a short step-by-step plan for every moment.
Before you go camping, clean and maintain:
- Clean windows with lukewarm water.
- Check whether the tent is still undamaged, or whether something needs to be repaired.
- Treat sticks with protective agent to prevent rusting.
Cleaning while camping:
- Before camping, use a good impregnation spray to prevent dirt and stains.
- Remove stains with a little lukewarm water.
- Do not use soap-containing products with a cotton tent. Otherwise you will affect the waterproofing.
- Don't forget the awning either: clean the awning windows of the awning if they are dirty.
Cleaning windows after camping:
- Remove coarse dirt with a soft brush.
- Remove most of the dirt with lukewarm water and a clean cloth.
- Clean the windows with Plastic Window Cleaner & Protector.
- Store the tent in an airy way, ensure that it is in a dark and dry place.
What are the advantages of Plastic Window Cleaner & Protector?
Plastic Window Cleaner & Protector has several advantages. First of all, this product doesn't just clean – it also has a protective effect. In addition, it makes small and unsightly scratches less visible. It contains no silicone, no abrasives and it does not stick. You can also clean various plastic products with it. Use Plastic Window Cleaner & Protector for clear plastic on your:
- helmet vizier
- boat hood